The Royal BC Museum anchors an area bounded by Douglas, Belleville and Government Streets, steps from Victoria’s Inner Harbour and across the street from BC’s Legislature Buildings. This cultural precinct includes the BC Archives; Helmcken House, St. Ann’s Schoolhouse, the Netherlands Carillon Tower, Thunderbird Park and Mungo Martin House - Wawadit’la.
Helmcken House was built by Dr. John Sebastian Helmcken and is the oldest house in British Columbia on its original site that still opens for the public. Dr. Helmcken, a surgeon with the Hudson’s Bay Company, set up house in Victoria when he married the daughter of Governor James Douglas in 1852. He went on to become a statesman and helped negotiate the entry of British Columbia into Canada, as a province. The good doctor’s original 19th century medical kit is among the interesting items on display.